Thinking of creating a simple yet eye-catching birdhouse for your garden? This birdhouse plan home project can be DIY in the shortest time and within budget. If you have an open garden or balcony, different kinds of birds visit the space due to the flowers and greenery. Building a birdhouse is one of the easiest projects with minimal tools.
There is no restriction and thumb rule for the size and shape of the birdhouse. All different types wood works blend easily with the surrounding. The birdhouses are perfect decorative and functional materials that can be added to the yard for an aesthetic look. Making a birdhouse plan for your garden is one of the most cost-effective home projects that require only a wooden panel, nails, and some basic tools.
You can choose to paint or stain the birdhouse to grab attention. The birdhouse plan should be customized as per their installation, whether it will be placed on a tree or hung on the front patio or balcony.
Here is a list of 11 DIY birdhouse plans that can be built at an affordable price. And give the space a creative touch.
How to DIY a Birdhouse Plan?
Here is a stepwise guide to making a birdhouse plan at home. This free DIY birdhouse plan covers all the important points like the manner of using materials, dimensions, cutting, and assembling the wood planks.
- With the help of measuring tape, mark the sides of the birdhouse on the plank. The plank usually comes 6 feet long and with one end square and the other blunt.
- Start by cutting the sides with the help of a saw for the birdhouse from the squared end. If you have a square, use it to draw a straight line on the plank so that it gets easier while cutting.
- For exact cutting, make the wooden plank clamped with the below surface. The clamp ensures the stability of the plank while cutting and seamless birdhouse sides.
- With the help of the cut side, use it as a reference to cut the remaining sides, this ensures that all sides are equal, and you do not need to mark the planks for the same purpose.
- With the above technique, cut out three other sides that will act as the roof and bottom.
- While considering the birdhouse plan, keep in mind that the front and back sides should be identical to each other and different from the rest of the sides, as they will be cut at a 45-degree angle.
- Now that you have all the pieces ready, decide on the birdhouse plan, like the roof layout, etc. You can have many combinations of the birdhouse roof in order to make it look elegant.
- If you are placing the roof cuttings side by side, there will be differences in the length of both boards. Place one roof board on top of the other in a 90-degree fashion, and mark a line that needs to be cut out.
- Before assembling all the wooden boards, cut the center hole on the front board with the help of the Forstner bit or hole saw. You can make the hole bigger or smaller as per the bird’s size that visits the space.
- Avoid making too bigger circles to prevent larger birds and squirrels from occupying the place.
- Whenever dealing with woodwork, make sure to use eye and ear protection.
- The final assembly of all the boards requires a hammer and finish nails. Start by securing the roof with the help of nails.
- Furthermore, attach the sides, front, and back of the birdhouse one after the other. Make sure that the bottom of the boards are flushed, as the whole birdhouse plan will be sitting on a flat piece of wood. The bottom board will have a few inches sticking out to the front, acting as a nice place for the birds to stand or free sitting.
- After assembling all four sides and bottom, secure the roof with nails. You can choose the roof to be in line with the back wood board or place it in the center. Any of these will look visually appealing.
- You can either have a wall-mounted birdhouse on the front patio or use metal hangers and attach the birdhouse to it so that the shelter hangs beautifully on the trees.
- Durable Material - The rafter square is die-cast from heavy-gauge aluminum alloy which enables it to last long and still give an accurate measurement. The combination ruler itself is die-cast from zinc alloy and carries a steel ruler made of stainless steel with a matte finish.
- Clearly Identifiable Scale - The rafter square finishing features low glare and protective powder coated. It has permanent deep markings and white graduations for max readability in any lighting. The stainless steel ruler of the combination square has a deep etching scale for superior legibility and long-lasting usage.
- Multiple Graduation - 7-inch rafter square has many kinds of graduation which blends the features of framing square, try square, miter square, and protractor square. The combination square has a 12-inch stainless steel ruler which has 3 types of minimum scale values: 1/16”, 1/32”, and 1mm.
- User-Friendly - Lipped fence allows you to easily brace the rafter square flush with the wood, creating a straight or angled line that is proportionate to the wood's edge. The spring screw of the combination square makes it easier to detach the stainless steel ruler and the smooth ruler is easier to slide for your measurement.
- Wide Versatility - Easy-to-read level vial and a metal scriber on the side of the combination ruler increase product practicality and versatility. The rafter square can be used as a guide for cross-cutting lumber. They both work accurately at an angle of 90 degrees or 45 degrees.
- 4-1/2" & 6" Clamps Set: The set contains 2 pieces 4-1/2" bar clamps and 2 pieces 6" bar clamps. The 4-1/2" clamps can be set to spreaders of size up to 7-7/8", and the 6" clamp is also a spreader with size up to 11-1/4"
- Clamp & Spreader: The unique quick-change button design allows the f clamp to be a spreader as well. Just press the red button to take the jaw off and then reverse it before putting it back in, you will get the spreader you need
- Powerful Clamping Force: With up to 150 lbs of squeezing force, WORKPRO bar clamp offers a decent choice for woodworking or other household repairs. It is lightweight yet sturdy and is capable of holding pressure for extended periods
- Solid Construction: Reinforced nylon body and high-quality hardened steel bars provide excellent impact resistance, which is able to withstand the heavy use expected on construction sites
- Eye for Details: Non-marring removable and replaceable pads feature flexible material and non-slip texture, which enhances the overall clamping force. Quick-release latch allows you to adjust and lock the wood clamps simply and quickly. Somewhat surprisingly, the ergonomically-designed handle and dipping plastic on the quick-release latch are both for customers' comfort
1. Simple Birdhouse
Birdhouse plans are a great source to begin woodwork at home. From adults to children, anyone can build a simple birdhouse. With less material and time, you can build this shelter home that will last for several years. Furthermore, you get the chance to customize the birdhouse when you are DIY at home, with the shape, size, and color.
With the help of tools like measuring tape, hammer, handsaw, drill, and nails, you can begin building the birdhouse at home. When it comes to selecting the wooden plank, choose a cedar plank for this project. Cedar is a great choice for a birdhouse plan as it is naturally rot-resistant and insect-resistant. This increases the shelf life of the shelter home as it can sustain in the open space without any finishings. Follow these steps to build a perfect shelter home for the birds.
- Thickness: 1/2"
- True Width: 7" (+/- 1/16)
- Spanish Cedar - FAS GRADE HARDWOOD LUMBER pieces that are sanded to thickness and cut to width per order. All milling is done at our facility, we handle the pieces from start to finish. These Exotic hardwood thin wood sheets and wood boards are perfect for all your woodworking needs.
- COMMON USES: Scroll Saw, Wood Working,Laser Engraving, DYI, Crafts & more… APPEARANCE: Heartwood is yellowish brown, occasionally with a reddish or olive-colored hue, darkening with age. Narrow sapwood is pale yellow and is clearly differentiated from the heartwood. GRAIN: Grain is usually straight, though it can be interlocked. With a fine, uniform texture and good natural luster.
- SHIPPING INCLUDED
2. Single-Board Birdhouse
A birdhouse plan is easy to execute and install in any open space of the house. Making a birdhouse with minimum material has made this home project worth trying by naive woodworkers and experienced ones too. Try to make the birdhouse plan with a simple design, as it will be easier to clean and maintain from the inside.
This single-board birdhouse is made from a pine wood panel and a few screws and nails. After taking the measurements of the board, cut the sides as per requirement. Screws are used for securing the front of the birdhouse so that you can remove the screws for cleaning purposes. You can make more than one center hole for ventilation, and apart from this, add drainage holes on all four corners.
- DURABLE WOOD EXTERIOR SCREWS: The Velocity Wood Screws Contractor Pack includes 375 exterior screws in size #10x 2 1/2 with corrosion-resistant coating, a sharp tip for instant rip, and low-energy screw threads for the fastest driving on the market.
- PATENTED HEXSTIX DRIVE SYSTEM: These Wood Screws come with a patented Hexstix drive system that fits perfectly into the recess, providing Stick-Tight technology for stable, anti-wobble engagement. This recess is compatible with commonly used star drives, including 6 lobe and torx drives.
- ADVANCED DESIGN: These Velocity screws are designed with shank slots placed up the shaft to reduce splitting while ensuring fast starting and insertion speeds. They also feature screw threads rolled right to the tip on every screw for instant starts.
- LARGE PACKS FOR LARGE JOBS: Our Velocity Contractor Packs are perfect for bulk buying screws and come in a large plastic container with a handle for easier transport and organizing.
- SUPERIOR, RELIABLE PRODUCTS WITH PHILLIPS: Velocity a brand of the Phillips Screw Company is based in the USA. The Philips Screw Company has been the leading innovator of building materials and fastener technology since 1935. As industry experts, we’ve become the desired brand for professional tradesmen and DIY’ers alike.
3. Birdhouse with a Flat Roof
The Birdhouse plan is one of the most efficient DIY home projects, as you can use leftover wood to create a whole new look. It becomes a lot easier to work with a single piece of wood, as you do not have to worry about the difference in thickness. As you can see, this birdhouse plan is a simple wooden box with a flat and catchy roof and perch. Measure and cut the wooden boards as per requirement. You can use wood glue to stick all the sides, and with the help of clamps, hold the glued sides till the glue dries. Apart from this, you can also use nails to secure the boards and provide additional support.
Use a larger board as the roof and secure it will glue and nails; you can choose to paint it to grab attention. Apart from this, attach eye screws on the back of the birdhouse so that it can be hung on a tree or wall-mounted.
- UPGRADE VERSION & MORE LOAD CAPACITY: Most eye screws are easy to break under a heavy load, so we replace them with stronger eye screws. Upgrade version with 10mm thickness and 6inch outstanding length, which have a load working up to 700lbs. Our material used allows the screw eyes to exert maximum strength and durability, ensures stability, and makes your life more convenient and safe.
- PERFECT STYLISH APPEARANCE: Unique black design with outstanding size make the screw eye hooks more luxurious than ever which is quite suitable for nice home decoration. Especially, you can use it indoors/outdoors, swing for kids, yoga, hammock hanging, heavy-duty applications, lifting, securing ropes, or wherever you want.
- HIGH-CARBON STAINLESS STEEL: Premium quality screw eye hooks made of good steel, steel with high carbon content makes these screw eyes strong and keeps the steel from rusting. Besides, each screw eye has also coated a black on the surface, which is not easy to break, rust, durable, and corrosion-resistant in daily use. Rigid eye design ensures stability and strength.
- QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Easy to ensure convenient operation and installation with our screw eyes hook. You can bite into wood, plywood, or drywall without stripping based on our high-quality black stainless steel points. Besides, you can screw the hooks into the wood with a wrench, drill the hooks into the cement wall, or use a soft hammer to gently insert them directly into the wood.
- WIDE APPLICATION: Our eye screws are perfect for indoor and outdoor projects, in sleet, rain, or humidity. It is also great for tie-downs, commonly used hardware accessories for building decoration, and securing cable wires. Mainly, it can supply wide use in daily life such as a good DIY tool in camping, traveling, and hanging items like swings, hammocks, wherever you want.
4. Modern Birdhouse
The birdhouse plan can take inspiration from our current architectural designs and how to use the most out of a small area. The advantage of taking a birdhouse plan as a DIY home project is that you can use any wood material to make the shelter home look creative. Apart from this, the birdhouse does not require a mandatory stain or paint; the original wooden texture is enough to give a natural touch.
This modern birdhouse has two different levels that have been secured with nails. Cut the wood panels into small blocks after measuring. If you are using any other wood, sand the surfaces so it becomes smoother. The roof can be cut from a different wood for a visually appealing look. Assemble the sides with wood glue and screws. The topmost block in the front is cut shorter and attached with hinges. This provides room for more birds.
5. Green Roof on The Birdhouse
The birdhouse plan can be made creative with different shapes, colors, and wood types and by adding decor items to increase their aesthetic appeal. As seen above, this birdhouse has a green cover of natural grasses.
Not only does this look unique and beautiful, but it also helps attract more birds due to the green texture. You can make the birdhouse with flat wood or attach log sticks for an aesthetic look.
Cut an oversized wooden panel for using it as a roof and cover it with polyethylene that acts as water-resistant. With the help of a knife, cut a small area of natural grass or artificial grass and place it on the roof. This type of birdhouse can be easily made by following a few steps.
6. The Oversized Roof on The Birdhouse
The birdhouse plan can be used for multi purposes like shelter, bird feeders, etc. This simple DIY home project adds more life and color to the garden and outer patio. The budget-friendly project can be made creative by adding character to the birdhouse. As seen in the picture, this oversized roof on the birdhouse is an attraction. Not only can the roof be used to grab the bird’s attention, but it also can be used for planting different plants.
The birdhouse is a simple rectangle box that can be measured and cut from a single wooden panel and secured with nails. The roof consists of two sections, one is the flat wooden surface, and the second is the smaller wooden blocks arranged in the form of a border. The oversized roof can also be used to store bird food and water.
7. Birdfeeder and Birdhouse in One
The purpose of a birdhouse plan is to attract birds and provide them shelter. It is necessary to design a plan that can be easily accessed for cleaning inside the birdhouse. Proper ventilation, drainage, rot-resistant, water-resistant, and appropriate center hole are certainly important factors, as the birdhouse will be placed in the open.
This two-in-one birdfeeder and birdhouse are multifunctional in nature. Cut the wooden boards after the required measurement has been taken. This shelter home will only need a roof and 2 boards, front and back. Drilling a center hole is not necessary, as the sides will be partially open. Secure the wooden boards with nails and glue.
Add 2 small wooden blocks on the sides to store food and water. This simple birdhouse can be made at home in a few steps.
8. Bluebird Birdhouse
The birdhouse plan is one of the simplest and fastest DIY projects that can be done by any woodworker. The small sizes of these shelter homes make it feasible to use a single wood plank for a spacious birdhouse or make many small birdhouses like the bluebird birdhouse. The name comes after the bird species Bluebird, but many small-sized birds can easily use this birdhouse.
This birdhouse plan has a simple technique of measuring, cutting, and securing the sides. The back wooden board is slightly taller than the sides, which catches the attention and can be used to wall-mount the birdhouse.
You can be creative with this birdhouse by securing the topmost wood in the front with nails and leaving the bottom open for easy cleaning.
9. Boxed Birdhouse
The birdhouse plan should be made in a manner that accommodates the maximum capacity of birds. As this DIY home project is simple to make, you can build birdhouses in bulk and even sell them online. The birdhouses can be made from any wooden material and easily blend with the natural surroundings.
This boxed birdhouse is specially designed for birds like sparrows. Cut the wooden planks as per the requirement. This birdhouse will require wooden planks to be cut for partitions, too, apart from the roof, sides, and bottom.
You can choose to keep the front open, which acts as a birdfeeder and birdhouse, or you can also cover the front with the wooden board and give three different center holes. Two smaller wooden blocks are attached to the back for hanging purposes.
10. Metal Roof on The Birdhouse
Birdhouse plans can be made with any given material and still give the garden an elegant look. The wood scraps, metal scraps, and nails can be used to make a rustic birdhouse in no time. As the birdhouse will be kept outdoors, it will constantly be in touch with water and insects.
Certain wood types require a coat of acrylic paint to remain water-resistant. Apart from this, these shelter homes are used for nesting too. So after the nesting season ends, the birdhouse needs to be cleaned, so the birdhouse plan should be easily accessible.
This metal roof on the birdhouse is reused, which helps keep the place free from water problems. Apart from this, the wood planks can be cut, measured, and secured with nails, screws, and glue to form a nice, square birdhouse. A nail is also attached beneath the center hole as a perch.
11. Deck on The Birdhouse
The birdhouse plan can include all types of creativity that can be seen in a home. The original wood and its color add a natural touch to the space and attracts many birds for shelter, nesting, and eating. For a visually appealing look, you can add wood logs or branches on the front side of the birdhouse.
They easily stick to each other with wood glue. As in the birdhouse in the picture, you can cut the sides and roof as per the requirement and secure them with nails. Keep the bottom wood plank bigger than the rest sides, which makes it the perfect place for a deck or outer patio in the birdhouse.
Add a single, small-sized roof and two vertical wooden bars to create a shed. The deck proves to be helpful as it will protect the birds from extreme sun, rain, and winds. It becomes the perfect sitting spot and can equip many birds at a single time. You can take inspiration from this technique and build a birdhouse at home.
These birdhouse plans can be easily built for $3 and yet look elegant. With materials like wood plank, nails, hammers, and glue, you can create a spacious shelter for the birds. Moreover, the birdhouses are multi-functional in nature; you can transform the small space to harbor bird food, water, and other decor items.
There is no limit to the shape and size of the birdhouse plan; you can create numerous designs other than square and rectangle for an eye-catching birdhouse. Apart from this, you can also use materials and decor items like flower pots, old clocks, teapots, stones, etc., to make a unique birdhouse. The birdhouse plans come in a range of styles, from rustic to modern, that are highly efficient, functional, and accessible.
The birdhouse plans are the ones that grab attention, as they come in different shapes, sizes, materials, and colors. You can easily implement these 11 free DIY birdhouse plans built for $3 and give a refreshing look to your yard and a new character.